Like many of us, Barrett found himself unhappy at his job several months ago and thought that it may be time to make a career shift.
However, rather than follow the initial impulse to leave his current position, he took a series of steps first, that led to a totally new understanding of what was going on and what to do next.
As a result, he was able to experience immense joy and resolve some deep issues related to his work that would have simply followed him to his next position – and beyond – had he not looked inward.
This episode is perfect for anyone who is unhappy in their career right now, or anyone who wants to proactively learn about what to do when (or if) that time comes in the future.
IN THIS EPISODE YOU’LL FIND OUT ABOUT
Barrett tells us the story of his teenage years and the numerous troubles he had with the law, and how he eventually realized he need to live his life differently and more authentically.
- He explains that it was his mentors in his fraternity and college organizations that helped him find the path to use his energies better in life.
- Barrett describes that working for one of the world’s largest firms was not aligned with his vision for his life.
- He tells us that a short term project for Seth Godin quickly gave him the knowledge and tools to close his first business and move on to a new venture, which later was Fizzle.
- Barrett describe the hardship of first being a decision maker to later working with others on a team while fulfilling the vision and mission of someone else, and how that became one of his strongest assets as a leader at Fizzle.
- He describes the struggles and disconnect he had with his team and how that pushed him to view the whole situation and himself from an objective standpoint.
- Barrett reveals that after receiving advice from a close mentor, he saw the possibilities and re-opened the dialog with his team to discover their values and how he needed to live his life to be fulfilled.
- He tells us how he has found fulfillment in himself at Fizzle even though the team share separate values.
- Barrett reminds us that he is doing his best to adopt the values in a way that allows him to live his other values elsewhere.
- He tells us to begin with our own values first, then find influences that work best for you.
- Barrett tells us that we should develop a sense of self-awareness and live based on that.
- He tells us that currently he is challenged by finding his priorities and pursuing those priorities.
LISTEN TO THE SHOW