Yesterday Mr. Lively and I worked a bit more on the apartment. Not a lot because I totally needed a break, but we did finish the gallery wall in the back hall.
As you may recall, the hall to our bedroom first looked like this before we moved in.
Long, white, and kinda boring.
To spice it up and display the pieces of art we had left over from our past apartments which had yet to find a home in the new space, we made a gallery wall.
But this is not one of those super curated walls with matching frames or anything like that. This is simply the artwork we had on hand in the frames we put them in originally, once upon a time.
First, we anchored the space with the largest canvas – which also covers the switch breaker panel on the left.
Then, I traced the artwork on craft paper and loosely drew or marked frame colors on the papers before placing them on the wall.
With the largest piece in place first, it made the rest of the positioning much easier. Things kinda fell into place from the left to the right.
Once Mr. Lively approved the configuration, he got to work hanging the pieces. To make things simpler for him, I marked (on some of them) exactly where the nail needed to go.
Here’s how it all turned out.
We have a mix of canvases, wood, black frames, white shadow boxes, and an ornate gold mirror. The overall effect is cohesive despite the random assortment of pieces.
One tiny detail I dig is how the mirror reflects the brick wall.
Turns out you guys were right, I am digging the brick after all.
And our walk to the bedroom is way more interesting now.