Good morning! Today is the start of my first full week of work in the past three weeks. And I’m looking forward to it. As much as I love traveling, I enjoy returning to my routine.
This weekend Erwin and I hosted our college friends Marisa and Pat. It was great to catch up with them and Marisa came armed with a small bathtubs’ worth of chocolate chip cookies and a delicious cherry scone recipe (which will debut later this week). Which begs the question, how did the Modified Quantum Wellness Cleanse go?
June’s PBA: [Modified] Quantum Wellness Cleanse Summary
Now that the first two weeks of my June Personal Bank Account is over, it’s time to reflect on how well I adhered to my intention of eating a healthier, more natural foods. Below is a summary of how well I did.
Week 1 and 2
I ate plenty of:
- Fruits and vegetables – I did eat quite a bit of fruits and vegetables. And I actually ordered salads and soups at restaurants (gasp!).
- Whole grains – Yep, I usually eat mostly whole wheat products so this step was easy.
- Soy and beans – Not so good with cooking beans so didn’t really eat many of these guys.
- Healthy oils – Sure, I guess so. I didn’t really think about this goal too much.
I avoided the following foods:
- Dairy (trace amounts in bread allowed) – I did avoid dairy except for when at home eating my mom’s dinners. I decided it wasn’t worth changing my mom’s menu.
- Meat – Besides a few dishes while visiting my family, I didn’t eat meat.
- White flour – Besides baked goods, I didn’t eat white flour.
- Added sugar – Here is where I slipped (majorly). Erwin baked me cookies (pictured above) while I was visiting my family and I had (and wanted) to eat them. Didn’t you know boyfriend cookies don’t have sugar? Oh, the same goes for Marisa’s cookies. I think something about the love counteracts the sugar… not sure Kathy Freston would agree, but this is my modified cleanse.
- Caffeine (except tea) – I did avoid pop (or ‘soda’ for all of you readers outside the Midwest). But I did drink an occasional sugar-free latte.
- Alcohol (limited to twice a week) – Vacation and hostessing in the city was not conducive to this intention. I didn’t drink more than a few glasses at one time.
Follow week 1 and 2 and add dairy (CHEESE!) into the mix. – This is where I am now. So far, so good.
So… when I look at the cleanse I can say that though I didn’t follow through 100%, I was flexible and worked with the intentions as best I could, adapting to vacation and visitors. And overall, I did curb a lot of the poorer eating habits I had been picking up in recent months. Going forward, I intend to keep most of these guidelines in mind. But there will definitely be cheesy oatmeal in my future. No questions asked!